From the 19th century to the 20th and 21st century
1927 was a vintage year for memorable, auspicious events and dates to remember…
The year 1927 coincides with the construction of the Lombard Brick Bungalow at 502 S. Westmore Avenue and Washington Blvd. , in time for the Lilac Festival at Lilacia Park in the Village of Lombard , Du Page County, Illinois, USA. During 1927, Lombard lived through a building contracts boom for community development, expansion and growth.
In 1927, “the Grandaddies Sol Kogen and Edgar Miller in Old Town Chicago, renewed their friendship from the School of the Art Institute and joined efforts in rehabbing old buildings with recyclable materials, to be used as studios”—according to Dennis Rodkin, Chicago Reader, in the Nest Issue, “ Chicago architecture was booming in 1927.” The original Carl Street Studios were erected in 1927 and bears Sol Kogen’s name at 155 W. Carl Street , know today as Burton Place in Chicago, Illinois.
Eighty-one years ago establishes a milestone for the Modernist style of architecture featuring Art Deco, Nouveau Art, stained glass windows, glass etchings, beveled and leaded glass, in the Italianate style, as well as mosaics, frescoes, and architectural interior designs.
1927 marks the year when the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences was founded.
The telegraph and the telephone were used for “speedy communications”.
During March 19, 1927, the Village of Lombard issued new building permits in demand for the great expansion and growth of Babcock’s Grove, since 1833, when Ralph and Morgan Babcock traveled west of Chicago to secure land for the Church Deacon, Winslow Churchill and his family, in Du Page County, Illinois, USA.
In 1869, Babcock’s Grove was incorporated when Josiah P. Lombard, one of the village’s main landowners, lent his name to the new municipality, known today as the Village of Lombard , according to town historian Jean Van Rensselar.
At the turn-of-the-century, the Lombard Historic Brick Bungalow at 502 S. Westmore Avenue and Washington Blvd. was owned by the Ahrens Family as a subdivision of part of the block “A” in Robertson’s Westmore, according to the Plat recorded June 1st, 1922 by the Du Page County Recorder of Deeds Office. Both Mary Ahrens and Emil Ahrens lived at this Lombard Historic Brick home during 1929 and 1930, according to property records.
Warranty Deed in Trust, R75-64744, Recorded in Du Page County , 1975 Nov 20 PM12:30
This indenture witnesseth, that the Grantor Lucille Hornbeck, a.k.a. Lucille A. Hornbeck, a widow and not since remarried, of the County of Du Page and State of Illinois for and in consideration of the sum of Ten and 0/100 dollars, $10.00, in hand paid, and of other good and valuable considerations, receipt of which, hereby, is duly acknowledged to Convey and Warrant unto La Grange State Bank, a banking corporation duly organized and existing under the laws of the State of Illinois, s Trustee under the provisions of a certain Trust agreement, dated the 8th day of November 1975 and known as Trust Number 2834, the following described real estate in the County of Du Page and State of Illinois, to wit:
Parcel 1: Lot eighty (80) in Robertson’s Westmore, a subdivision of part of the West half of the South West quarter of Section nine (9), Township thirty-nine (30) North, Range eleven (11) East of the Third Principal Meridian, lying South of the right of way line of the Chicago Aurora and Elgin Railroad Company, according to the Plat thereof recorded June 1st 1922, as document 15681, in Du Page County, Illinois.
Parcel 2: Lot A in Washington Manor being a Subdivision of part of Block “A” in Robertson’s Westmore, a Subdivision of that part of the West half of the Southwest quarter, lying South of the right of way of the Chicago Aurora and Elgin Railroad, of Section 9, Township 39 North, Range 11, East of the Third Principal Meridian, according to the Plat of said Washington Manor recorded February 17, 1959 as document 912579, and Certificate recorded on April 20, 1959, as Document 919712, in Du Page County, Illinois.
Mary Ahrens, 3/27/1929, Books 231/364
Emil Ahrens, 6/16/1930, Books 248-539
Dorothy Elguth, 5/19/1934, Books 293-352
Richard Ahrens, 5/14/1947, Books 371-206
Henry A. Hornbeck, 1947
George P. Hornbeck
Lucille A. Hornbeck, 11/20/1975
Marie C. LiPuma, 10/30/1984
Roberto Hung, 9/2/1996
Gardenia C. Hung/Robert S. Hung, 1998-present
During 1922, when the Ahrens recorded this property deed: a building ordinance was passed in the Village of Lombard , the superintendent of construction was appointed, and the Lombard village board studied zoning ordinance. There were 2,200 acres in Du Page County, subdivided into residential lots—old farms were being subdivided. According to the late Mrs. Steben, my elderly next-door neighbor, “the area was old farm land with horse stables, surrounded by corn fields”.
More petitions for new subdivisions were presented in 1922. At the time, the Lombard trustees forecasted the expansion and uncontrolled growth. There were dirt roads and muddy paths—“some sections were inundated by spring rains”. According to Lillian Budd, Lombard historian, The Lombard News summarized, “…clamoring for water in pipes, while at the same time battling water not in pipes.” Some property owners laid water mains at their own expense, then asked permission to connect with the village water system. The Village of Lombard planned street paving afterwards in 1922.
During March 19, 1927, the Village of Lombard issued new building permits. By June 1927, eight (8) more building permits were issued. At the time, property values in Lombard increased—“one vacant lot more than tripled in value, within one year”.
Colonel William R. Plum, died on April 28, 1927, during Lilac Time. Upon his death, the Estate of Colonel Plum and his wife, Helen M. Plum was bequeathed to the Village of Lombard , for a public park, known today as Lilacia Park , in 2008. The Lombard Park District was established on September 26, 1927 in Du Page County, Illinois, USA.
Eighty-six years later, there are still Lombard resident senior citizens living today to celebrate their anniversaries in Lilac Town . Last Friday, August 29, 2008, the Lombard Spectator reported that there is still a need for water main construction on Meyers Road, between 22nd Street and 16th Street for the installation of a new water transmission main on Meyers Road at the York Center—to be completed in two (2) months, according to the Lombard Public Works Department, engineer Frank Kalisik. The Lombard water transmission main is designed for a water booster station to process about 4,000 feet of water, locally. This is not a water main to the Lombard residents’ homes.
The Lombard Spectator was first published in 1927 by Frank T. Jirsa, Jr. On June 16, 1927, the Lilac Town voice became “Devoted to the interests of Lombard—“a Village of Homes ”. This local newspaper brought attention to Lilac Town as the Village of Lombard , founded in 1869.
According to Lombard history, the Ahrens Family can be traced back to the German Lutheran brothers Ehler and Friedrich Ahrens, who helped to build Trinity Lutheran Church School , “schulgemeinde”, on Roosevelt Road and Wisconsin street , York Center . On June 15, 1868, the Ahrens brothers joined Jobst Goltermann, Henry and Friedrich Goltermann, and Heinrich Meyer to provide for the Trinity Lutheran Church School and congregation at the York Center , in Babcock’s Grove, before the Village of Lombard was incorporated, in 1869. The original twelve (12) Lutherans who erected Trinity Lutheran Church at Roosevelt and Meyers Road were: three (3) Goltermann brothers, two (2) Ahrens brothers, Fr. Meyer, H. H. Hogrefe, J. Uhlhorn, W. Woltermann , D. Scharlau, F. Schumaker, and H. Niemann.
One hundred and forty years have passed now in 2008 since that fateful day. Now Trinity Lutheran Church and School celebrate the 140th anniversary of serving the Village of Lombard community and the Lutheran congregation at York Center , in Du Page County, Illinois, United States of America.
The Lombard Historic Brick Bungalow is Timeless for a Vintage Year: 1927, Modern Times, from the 19th Century and 20th Century To The 21st Century. This Lombard Historic Brick Bungalow has remained at the corner of Westmore Avenue and Washington Blvd. since the Ahrens Family built the Lombard property in 1927.
Two centuries later, on September 2nd, 1993, Mr. Roberto Hung, Sr. with his daughter and son-in-law purchased the Lombard Historic Brick Bungalow from Debra Y. Sekrecki, with an initial down payment of $2,000, as earnest money paid by personal check, added to the total cash payment of $88,000 at a fixed interest rate not to exceed 8.00% per year, amortized over a period of fifteen (15) years. At the time, Debra Y. Sekrecki had two (2) children, a boy and a girl, lived with Stella, the tenant upstairs, and father Adam Sekrecki.
Three months before, on July 11, 1993, Mr. Roberto Hung signed a Standard Residential Sales Contract from the Du Page Association of Realtors in agreement to purchase the Lombard real estate property at 502 S. Westmore Avenue in Lombard, Illinois 60148-3028 , owned by seller Debra Y. Sekrecki. The original closing date was scheduled on September 11, 1993. However, Roberto Hung was called by telephone to appear sooner on September 2nd, 1993, at 3:30 p.m., at the law office of Alan Dakoff, Telephone: 708-966-0488, located at 9291 North Maryland, in Niles, Illinois 60714 , U.S.A.
Century 21, Action Real Estate provided a Buyer Service Pledge presented by Steve Block, Telephone: 630-627-5500, and Dino, the real estate agent with Roberto Hung, who signed in agreement. Afterwards, Roberto Hung received a copy of Rider 412, Buyer’s Inspection which he signed as buyer with Debra Sekrecki, as seller.
In 1993, Century 21, Action Real Estate described in a listing the Highlights of the Lombard Historic Brick Bungalow at the corner of Westmore Avenue and Washington Blvd., owned by Debra Y. Sekrecki with tenant Stella. At the time, the Du Page County Real Estate Taxes were only $2,744 for the brick house. After Roberto Hung purchased the same Lombard Brick House, the Lombard property taxes doubled for more than $4,000, without providing the senior citizens Homestead Exemption.
This Lombard Brick Home is located near Westmore Elementary School and St. Pius X Church School, Jackson Middle School , and Willowbrook High School .
George Hornbeck’s Parcel No. 06-09-315038 is a subdivision, spacious 4-bedroom brick home with a second floor in-law or potential income arrangement. There are nine (9) room available with hardwood floors. Full finished basement. Front and rear enclosed porches for added living space. Fully fenced yard with a gas grill. There is a 2-car garage. Public transportation is available. This Lombard home is close to school and shopping, near the Eastgate Center and State of Illinois facilities for the Secretary of State Vehicle Licenses Center and the Illinois Employment and Training Center (I.E.T.C.).
Action Real Estate for Century 21 was serving Du Page and Cook counties at the Lombard Pines Shopping Center, 1125-J South Main Street, Lombard, Illinois 60148, in care of realtor Dino.
On September 2nd, 1996, Mr. Roberto Hung completed full cash payment of the Lombard Brick Home at Maple Park State Bank, witnessed by his daughter, Gardenia C. Hung, and the bank manager. Mr. Roberto Hung and his eldest daughter, married to Nathan S. Wittler, improved this Lombard Brick house by adding oak cabinets, an exterior halogen flood night light, (2) automatic garage door openers, changed all door locks, added gardening landscaping, apple trees orchard, and perennial flowers, and exotic plant species.
Specifications for the Lombard Historic Brick Bungalow:
Living Room: 25.4 X 11.10 sq. ft.
Dining Room: 13.1 X 13.2 sq. ft.
Kitchen: 11.6 X 10.8 sq. ft.
Master Bdrm: 11.10 X 10.6 sq. ft.
Bedroom: 11.5 X 10.6 sq. ft.
Bedroom: 11.3 X 10.0 sq. ft.
Bedroom: 15.8 X 10.0 sq. ft.
Living Room: 13.10 X 12.2 sq. ft.
Kitchen: 15 X 14 sq. ft.
Pantry: 6 X 4 sq. ft.
Utilities in the Basement. Basement Full Finished. Storage Rooms: 2. Closets: 10
 Chicago Reader, Thursday, March 27, 2008, Volume 37, Number 27. The Nest Issue. “The Granddaddies Sol Kogen and Edgar Miller in Old Town ”, page 28. The Reader© 2008, CL Chicago, Inc.
 Footsteps on the Tall Grass Prairie. A History of Lombard, Illinois by Lillian Budd, page 97. Published for the Lombard Historical Society, as a 1976 American Revolution Centennial Project. First Edition. Copyright 1977 by the Lombard Historical Society.
 1996 Lombard Community Directory. “Lombard: The Lilac Village ” by Jean Van Rensselar, page 2.
 Du Page County Recorder of Deeds, Fred Bucholz, Assisted by Jan, and Supervisor Leslie on Tuesday, June 19th, 2007, 11AM at the Jack T. Knuepfer Administration Building, 421 North County Farm Road, Wheaton, Illinois 60187-0936 USA. 2007 Real Estate Title Deed Research by Gardenia C. Hung, M.A., for Lombard Real Estate, 502 S. Westmore-Meyers Road and Washington Blvd., Lombard, Illinois, 60148-3028 USA. P.I.N. 06-09-315-038 on June 21st, 2007, 12PM.
 Footsteps on the Tall Grass Prairie. A History of Lombard, Illinois by Lillian Budd, page 175. Published for the Lombard Historical Society, as a 1976 American Revolution Centennial Project. First Edition. Copyright 1977 by the Lombard Historical Society.
 Ibid., page 196.
 Ibid., page 190-191.
 Lombard Spectator. “ Lombard : Meyers to be tied up with water main work”, page 10. Press Publications, Friday, August 29, 2008 LVP.
 Footsteps on the Tall Grass Prairie. A History of Lombard, Illinois by Lillian Budd, pages 195-6. Published for the Lombard Historical Society, as a 1976 American Revolution Bicentennial Project. First Edition. Copyright 1977 by the Lombard Historical Society.
 Footsteps on the Tall Grass Prairie. A History of Lombard, Illinois by Lillian Budd, page 120. Published for the Lombard Historical Society, as a 1976 American Revolution Bicentennial Project. First Edition. Copyright 1977 by the Lombard Historical Society.
Author tags:lombard, dupage county, illinois, 1927, historical, family
Your tags:lombard real estate property damages and losses to the hung family estate
- ► 2015 (10)
- ► 2014 (30)
- ► 2013 (17)
- ► 2011 (17)
- ▼ March (3)